Animal Husbandry Directorate
Major responsibility of Animal Husbandry Directorate is administrative control of different programmes launched under Animal Husbandry sector.
- Animal health care.
- Animal disease control and prevention.
- Assessment of major livestock products such as milk, meat, eggs and wool.
- Generic developments of livestock by implementing the Animal Breeding Programmes.
- Welfare activities of animal by implementing the prevention of cruelty to animal Acts.
- Providing better Animals treatment facilities by disease diagnostic programmes.
- Promoting the people for better managemental and feeding practices for animals.
- Publicity and extension activities of Animal Husbandry Programme.
On-going Plan Schemes:
- Sample Survey: Survey is held for the assessment of the production of different animal products like milk, eggs, wool and meat in the state under National Programme. The capacity and productivity of milk and egg production in animals and birds are assessed on the basis of the survey. These figures are used for the formulation of different schemes and these are the main indicators of the process of the schemes. On the instruction of the Central Govt., this programme is being run in all the states of the country.
- Veterinary Council: Veterinary Council has been established for the registration of the workings of the state government recognized veterinarians and to approve it legally.
- ASCAD: Under this scheme animals are to be vaccinated against different infectious diseases of the animals. In the present year an elaborate programme has been chalked out for this and vaccination programme at panchayat level has been envisaged. For making this programme successful, camps are being organized by publicizing its benefits in the fiscal year 2008-09. The scheme referred in is proposed to be extended on the estimated cost of Rs. 447.0908/- (Rupees Four Crore Forty Seven Lakhs Nine Hundred Eight Only).
- Low Input Technology: The main purpose of this scheme is to produce chicks by establishing poultry farms of low input technology at Central Poultry Farm, Patna, Regional Poultry Farm (Bela – Muzaffarpur), Regional Poultry Farm, Purnea and Kishanganj and the chicks produced at the farms are to be sold at the government rates to the marginal farmers, agricultural labourers, women and the poor and backward classes of the society. This will help in the augmentation of poultry profession and the economic condition of these people will be improved.
- 49 Class-I Dispensaries: The main purpose of this scheme is to safeguard the economic loss of the animal rearers as well as to protect the lives of the animals by providing health coverage to animals at remote rural places. In addition to this, the indiscriminate and unwanted matings of the of the female animals by the useless and indescript breeds of male animals (calves) are to be checked by castrating such types of male calves so that there should not be any adverse impact on the animal reproduction policy going to be formulated made in the state.
- Diagnostic Laboratory Darbhanga: The purpose of the scheme is to advise the departmental officials and animal rearers for their proper treatments by testing the faeces, urine and blood of the animals at the laboratory and treating them in a proper way so that the diseases of the animals may be checked.
Objective of Directorate:
- To improve the rural economy.
- To make availability of animal protein for human consumption.
- To create sufficient and sustainable wealth for rural people.
- To creation self employment opportunities for unemployed youth at the place where they are.
- To check the rural exodus of rural labour and skills.
Scope of Directorate:
Whole of the State of Bihar through range district, sub-division and block level institutions in Animal Husbandry Sector.
Duties and Services rendered by the Directorate:
- Animal Treatment.
- Animal Disease Control.
- Disease Diagnosis.
- Safe guard of Animals.
- Extension and Publicity.
- Monitoring the work of Subordinate Officials.
- Breed improvement.
- Augmentation of Animal Protein availability to the Society.
Assets with Animal Husbandry Directorate: